Saturday 22 June 2013

Post #10 - Saturday

Not going to tire you out with my meanderings today. This here is a photo of the neighbors' cat, Max. Max is lovely, but he's also the cat version of a serial killer. The other day, he nabbed a large mallard in mid flight, low to the ground. A day later, while I was gardening, he put his paw into the bush and pulled out a sparrow. Poor birdy.

I love cats and Max loves our house. He ought to, he used to live here. If our windows are open, Max comes in. He minds his own business, has a few bites of kibble that I kept for a former cat who was sadly put to sleep a few months back, then he naps in the guest room. He's no trouble really, except for the fact he's NOT OUR CAT. I say that with humor, because I adore him but he's double dipping. Getting his love, food and comfort at two houses. Lucky boy.

I like this photo. It's not easy to get him to look directly AT the camera because when the lighting sensor lights up, it makes him close his eyes or look away. But as I say, I like this pic because of his intent stare. A stare that says, "I've taken out ducks, don't piss me off lady".  I also like this photo because of its seeming simplicity. The photo was taken with a 40mm macro lens, early afternoon. I adjusted color a bit to bring out his eyes and that intense stare, then layered a tiny bit of softness. I like photographing animals, but I have zero interest in photographing people. Go figure. This photo reminds me of a favorite poem, by a favorite poet:

The Tyger - William Blake


Tyger! Tyger! burning bright 
In the forests of the night, 
What immortal hand or eye 
Could frame thy fearful symmetry? 


In what distant deeps or skies 
Burnt the fire of thine eyes? 
On what wings dare he aspire? 
What the hand dare sieze the fire? 


And what shoulder, & what art. 
Could twist the sinews of thy heart? 
And when thy heart began to beat, 
What dread hand? & what dread feet? 


What the hammer? what the chain? 
In what furnace was thy brain? 
What the anvil? what dread grasp 
Dare its deadly terrors clasp? 


When the stars threw down their spears, 
And watered heaven with their tears, 
Did he smile his work to see? 
Did he who made the Lamb make thee? 


Tyger! Tyger! burning bright 
In the forests of the night, 
What immortal hand or eye 
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?


No comments:

Post a Comment