Friday 19 July 2013

Resurfacing

I do realize that nobody reads this blog but to entertain myself I pretend as if there is a crowd here, anxiously awaiting my new posts and Cari-isms. So to you, I apologize that I have been somewhat remiss in my duties to this so-called "daily" photo blog. Sorries.

"Never ruin an apology with an excuse." - Benjamin Franklin 

It's been a rough time in our house the last couple of weeks with both my dog and myself having medical challenges. I will say right up front that Hamish's health is far more fragile than mine at the current moment. We've run the roller coaster of emotions and seemingly of medical diagnoses. It was a sore foot, then it was tummy trouble and the vet decided it was an ulcer. Before we knew it, he'd lost about 9lbs.  Then, the other night, it all tilted and my normally affectionate, cuddly, happy and energetic dog resembled a zombie with a bad hangover. Non-responsive to treats or commands, falling over while urinating and drinking water like his life depended on it. We thought he was in renal failure the other morning so after some quick thinking and re-arranging of schedules we found ourselves at the vet. As it turns out, his glucose was sky high and rising and he was suffering from pancreatitis and NOT an ulcer as was previously assumed by the first (there have been 5) vet we saw. Yesterday Hamish spent the day in the vet hospital while they battled to get his sugars in control. Finally, about 5:30pm, they reduced his number by half and were satisfied he'd be safe going home.

So now, my sense of humor makes its awkwardly timed appearance and all I can think of is that my dog and I are rivals in some kind of competition to see who has the most prescriptions. We're just about tied for now, in case you wanted to know. :)

"There's gon' be some stuff you gon' see
that's gon' make it hard to smile in the future.
But through whatever you see,
through all the rain and the pain,
you gotta keep your sense of humor.
You gotta be able to smile through all this bullshit.
Remember that." 
- Tupac Shakur

Now, on to the business of this blog: 

Today's photo is of a female duck that frequents the pond in front of our home and her 6 ducklings. It's a timely shot because after two weeks of my medical procedures, not feeling well, birthdays, and one very unwell doggy, this morning I woke up, saw a smile on my pooch's face and even a bit of energy in his leap from the bed. I felt pretty good too, so the two of us had breakfast followed by medications and then we opened the front door, greeted the warm sun and re-surfaced into life. A few hours later to hear that "our" (she's not ours, she's wild) duck had 6 babies felt significant. 

A day to re-surface, a day...for do overs. 

So without further adieu, I push the "re-start" button on this blog and officially begin again, to be a daily photo blogger. I apologize for the verbal diarrhea...it just is. It's how I am, love it, hate it...if you got this far, you clearly are tolerating it.

For that my kind readers, I thank you...  Today, I'm just grateful. And the quote below is so apt, even though "God" is a loose job title in my eyes, I appreciate this so much.

“A Sunrise is God's way of saying, "Let's start again.”  - Todd Stocker 



For your viewing pleasure: 


"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath." - Michael Caine


No comments:

Post a Comment